Harneys is an international law firm. Harneys Luxembourg provides advice on Luxembourg law to an international client base which includes the world’s top law firms, financial institutions and investment funds, as well as high net worth individuals. Our network covers 13 locations including in Luxembourg, Hong Kong, London, Montevideo, São Paulo, Shanghai, Singapore and Vancouver. Our wide network allows us to provide access to an impressive base of clients and intermediaries.
Harneys’ Luxembourg office was established in April 2019, resulting from a merger with a long established internationally focused Luxembourg law firm. Our offering in this jurisdiction focuses on the areas of investment funds, corporate, commercial, tax and regulatory.
You will be joining a growing collegiate team of 11 lawyers consisting of 4 Partners, 2 Senior Associate and 5 Associates.
The Associate should be able to work with colleagues to help clients succeed in realizing their business or personal objectives, through the efficient delivery of appropriate legal advice and assistance, with an ability to provide accurate, focused and practical advice.
The Associate will work principally as part of the Tax and Tax Regulatory team of the firm but with scope for involvement in corporate work.
The role would involve the following:
- Advising on a wide range of tax matters (principally corporate and funds), frequently with an international element and including indirect taxes
- Structuring and implementing international corporate and fund structures
- Advising on a range of different investment structures, including investment funds
- Advising on issues related to automatic exchange of information and similar transparency initiatives, including DAC 6 and beneficial ownership registers
The role would be ideal for candidates who have a strong tax background and who wish also to have some involvement in corporate matters.
Legal advice and action
- Take and record clear instructions
- Maintain a high degree of technical accuracy on matters of law
- Provide concise letters and reports for clients, written in plain language
- Work both autonomously and in a team environment and directly with clients and/or intermediaries
- Prioritise and plan a challenging and varied workload, with a systematic work method, and high attention to detail
- Blend a high level of technical expertise with an understanding of the needs of the client
- Play an active and supportive role within the team
- Supervise and delegate where appropriate and take responsibility for performance management for those whom you supervise
- Involve the personal assistants and other support staff in an effective way
- Take responsibility for delegated work, ask for guidance in respect of matters which are unclear and report errors which need to be resolved
Financial management (under the supervision of a Partner)
- Provide accurate cost estimates for clients
- Update clients at regular intervals
- Bill clients accurately and at agreed times
- Ensure that any changes relating to the file are understood and communicated
- Achieve agreed targets, including hours and billing
Learning and business development
- Be proactive regarding training and professional development needs
- Attend departmental training sessions
- Attend appropriate external and internal (for example management and IT skills) courses
- Provide informal and formal training (e.g. induction, mentoring and internal team presentations)
- Be involved in the on-going development of the practice
- Participate in the preparation of marketing materials, including blogs and legal guides and updates
Qualifications & Experience
- 3 to 6 years post-qualification experience at a Luxembourg law or tax advisory firm
- An excellent academic record and relevant qualifications
- Admission to either List I or List IV of the Luxembourg Bar
- Admission to List I of the Luxembourg Bar would be an advantage